Flaky, itchy or tight skin? If you’re experiencing these symptoms, it could be because your skin is dry or dehydrated. But what’s the difference? Although these terms are sometimes used interchangeably, there are differences. Read below to see which you may have and how you can give your skin an immediate fix!
- Is caused by a lack of oil in your skin. (Oil produced by sebaceous glands protects the skin.)
- People who have dry skin can be genetically predisposed.
- “Real” dry skin manifests at all times of the year and not just on your face but on other parts of your body such as your scalp, hands, or legs.
- Dry skin is more prone to early skin aging.
- Dry skin lacks a protective barrier comprised of oil which can lead to irritation when skin is exposed to harsh ingredients or weather changes. When exposed to the sun, moisture loss is more rapid.
An immediate fix:If your skin is to the point that it’s super-flaky, even after you put on your moisturizer and makeup, then you need to address this immediately. Do adeep-conditioning cream mask at-home, or, if you can find an hour in your day, head to the nearest spa and request a customized facial for dry skin.
- Is caused by a lack of water in your skin.
- Anyone can develop dehydrated skin. It forms from moisture lose due to the use of detergents and soaps, or factors such as the sun or climate changes.
- Skin may also be oily and dry at the same time (known as combination skin) or can have acne.
- Constantly dehydrated skin can form dead skin cells that don’t slough off and can cause blockage of the pores.
An immediate fix: Give your skin an immediate boost of hydration and multi-vitamin shot with a seaweed-based serum.This is not only a source of hydration, but supplies your skin with essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that your skin needs.
Also, keep a hydrating spraywith you at all times. And of course, don’t forget to hydrate your skin from inside out by drinking plenty of water!
Have any questions about your dry or dehydrated skin? Leave them below and we’ll be happy to have one of our estheticians answer them for you